Did I mention that I'm on staycation this week? I'm trying to be household productive while I have the time to do it. Today will be spent in our office. I'm scared...hold me. This is the room in the house that became the catch-all early on. In reality, it probably won't be all that bad once I get in there and start organizing things, but just opening the door and looking in there is overwhelming. Anyone want to come do it for me??
No? Okay, okay...I'll do it. But afterward there better be a cookie waiting for me. A big, ol' cookie. Just kidding J...I wouldn't dream of eating a cookie. Ice cream, however...lives in my dreams. Mmm, ice cream.
Oh...hi. You're all still here. Please excuse my momentary daydream into Candyland. How's about we talk about this delicious, healthy chicken instead?
This is how we eat 95% of the time, I swear. I won't lie and say that we never ever eat "bad", but we try really hard to eat mostly healthy. It's harder for me than it is for J, no doubt about that. There are just some foods that I love and I crave from time-to-time, no matter how much I know that they are bad for me. Corn dogs, I'm talkin' about you.
And again, I digress. Datgummit!
So, this chicken. So simple, but so so delicious. I mean, paprika...is one purdy amazing, and probably underused, spice. I'll admit that for a long time I thought that it was mostly used for color. I know, I know...how very wrong I was. Simple grilled chicken with a tasty avocado salsa makes for a healthy and delicious dinner that will leave your taste-buds singing with joy. Oh, and your waistline (or hips, if that's your area) will thank you, too. ::wink::
Paprika Chicken with Avocado Salsa
As seen on What's Gabby Cooking?
- 4 thinly sliced chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon Hot Hungarian Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, diced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Combine the paprika, garlic powder, salt & pepper. Season the chicken on both sides of the mixture.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or grill pan over medium high heat. Once hot, add the chicken, in batches if necessary, and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown (or grill marks) cooked through.
- Remove from the skillet, squeeze a bit of of lemon juice on top and set aside. Repeat the process with the remaining chicken.
- While the chicken is cooking, combine the lemon juice, avocado, tomatoes, and green onions in a small bowl. Toss to coat and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve chicken with avocado salsa.