Now, my mom doesn't really use "recipes", and I honestly can't remember exactly what was in it besides the pineapple and mandarin oranges (my favorite!), and sour cream. So, when I saw this recipe, I knew it was close and I adapted it just a bit (taking out a couple of things). The fact that it used Greek yogurt was even better! I mean, come on guys...all that yummy fruit mixed together with some Greek yogurt - who doesn't want to eat that?!? Now, J is not a fan of coconut, so in the future I will leave that out, but it's an extra little sweet kick for those who do like it.
This is probably one of the simplest things you can make for a holiday gathering, the kids will love it, and it is damn delicious.
Today we are most likely sitting on the beach in Cozumel, our last port of call until home. Perhaps we are at Carlos 'n' Charlies. Whatever we're doing, I can assure you we're having a blast and I'll fill you in on all the deets when we return in a couple of days!
Until then...add this to your holiday menu! Or, make it now and try it out!!
Hawaiian Fruit Salad
As seen on Tastes Better From Scratch
- 1 medium apple, cored and chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 (10-oz) can pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 (11-oz) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- Add apple to a large bowl and toss in lemon juice to keep from browning. Add the pineapple, mandarin oranges, grapes, and coconut and stir to combine. Gently stir in the yogurt to evenly coat all the fruit.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving to allow the flavors to meld together. Serve chilled. If you notice some liquid gathering, just stir to reincorporate the juices into the fruit!