And as if trying the new ingredients wasn't exciting enough, I also got to use the slicer attachment for my food processor, to cut the cucumbers and radishes. Hey, I'm easy to amuse...what can I say. It was an exciting day in the kitchen!
Another crock pot taco recipe, and one that J has already requested again!! For a man that's easy to please food-wise, if he specifically requests something, that means it really made an impressions. So...that means these little tacos were freaking amazing!!
Oh, and the new ingredients...love them both! Not sure I would eat a radish on it's own, but in this vinegar-y slaw they were delish! Getcha some!!
Korean Beef Tacos with Cucumber-Radish Slaw
Slightly adapted from Confections of a Food Bride
- 3-5 lbs beef short ribs (can also use chuck roast or back ribs)
- 1 bottle (10 oz) low sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp ginger, grated
- 6 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp dark sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 2 Tbsp sriracha
- 1/2 - 1 cup water (optional)
- 16 small wheat tortillas
- Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1 cucumber (seedless recommended)
- 6-10 radishes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- Spray your crock pot with non-stick cooking spray and place the short ribs to the pot.
- Whisk together the soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, garlic, ginger, sriracha, sesame and olive oils.
- Pour this mixture over the ribs in the crock pot. If it looks like too little liquid, feel free to add 1/2-1 cup of water.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Use two forks or a stand mixer with paddle attachment to shred the meat. Return the shredded meat to the crock pot to soak up the remaining juices, for about 15 minutes.
- To make the cucumber slaw, slice the cucumber very thinly and sprinkle with salt. Place in a colander and let sit for up to an hour over a bowl or in the sink to extract some of the water content. Shake additional water from the colander or pat with paper towels.
- Meanwhile slice the radishes very thin and place in a medium-sized bowl.
- Transfer the cucumbers to the bowl with the radishes and add the rice vinegar and red pepper flakes. Toss to coat and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble, warm your tortillas and top with the shredded meat, a spoonful of greek yogurt or sour cream, cucumber-radish slaw, cilantro, and a squirt of sriracha for some added kick.