I love cupcakes. But what I love even more than regular cupcakes, are MINI cupcakes! I really love miniature anything…everything is cute and adorable in a miniature size. I haven’t been baking as much as I would like lately, but I’m slowly working it into my weekly schedule. This time around I tackled the Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Dark Chocolate Frosting from Martha Stewart’s Cupcakes. WOW. I mean, I haven’t really come across a cupcake that I didn’t like, but this one is so chocolaty that even a chocoholic like me is satisfied! And the fact that they are miniature means that those who aren’t the biggest sweets fans can still enjoy them without it being too much!!
I believe one of my friends at work called them, sinful, and said it is her second favorite treat that I have brought in, after Cake Balls. So, if that tells you anything… you definitely need to try them!! Want me to send you some? Because I will. They are that good, that no one should be denied!
Source: Martha Stewart’s Cupcakes
- 3 ¼ cups plus 1 Tbsp sifted cake flour (not self-rising)
- 4 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp milk
- ½ cup plus 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 5 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
- Whisk together the cake flour, salt & baking powder. In a separate bowl combine the milk & vanilla.
- With a mixer on medium-high speed, cream the butter until smooth, then add in the sugar in a steady stream until pale and fluffy. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of the milk mixture, beating until combined after each addition.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites with a mixer on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter to lighten. Gently fold the remaining egg whites until just combined. Toss chocolate chips with remaining Tbsp cake flour and gently fold into batter.
- Divide the batter evenly among the lined cups, about ¾ full. Bake about 22 minutes for standard size, 12 minutes for miniature, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Transfer tins to wire racks to cool before removing cupcakes.
Dark Chocolate Frosting Ingredients
- ½ cup plus 1 Tbsp unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- ½ cup plus 1 Tbsp boiling water
- 2 ¼ cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ lbs semi-sweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- Combine cocoa and boiling water, stirring until cocoa is dissolved.
- With a mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter, confectioners’ sugar and salt until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add the melted, cooled chocolate, beating until combined and scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in the cocoa mixture.
- Frost cooled cupcakes with a frosting spatula or piping bag/tip of your choice!