02 03 Sweet Beginnings: FC Day 17 - Sichuan Chicken 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

FC Day 17 - Sichuan Chicken

34

As you all know by now, I am working with a food calendar in preparation for our upcoming trip to the Bahamas, but sometimes life just gets in the way of "plans". Things come up and no matter how well laid-out, plans can change. But I make adjustments so that I can still prepare all the meals that I've promised you I would :) This weekend's plans were altered completely because my brother whom I haven't seen in 12 years (yes, that's right...TWELVE YEARS) came into town from out-of-state. So, you can understand why I would blow off the food calendar, right? I knew you would :)

Before the weekend festivities began though, I did manage to squeeze one dish in - Sichuan Chicken. This was a first-time dish, although we eat Asian-inspired dishes pretty regularly, and I have to say that I think it turned out pretty well. It was easy, it was quick, and it was tasty! 

Next time, I will double the sauce recipe, because I liked it that much, and use broccoli in place of the snap peas. I'm just not a huge snap pea fan. Broccoli, however, I adore. :)

Sichuan Chicken
Source: Eating Well


Ingredients

Preparation

  1. Whisk broth, tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, 1 tsp soy sauce, sesame oil, ¼ tsp cornstarch and crushed red pepper to taste in a small bowl.
  2. In another bowl combine chicken, sherry, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 ½ tsp cornstarch and garlic.
  3. Heat a wok or large skillet over high heat. Swirl oil into the pan, add ginger and stir-fry for 10 seconds. Carefully add the chicken mixture, spread out into 1 layer. Cook until the chicken begins to brown, about 1 minute. Using a spatula, stir-fry for 30 seconds. Spread the chicken out again and cook for 30 seconds. Continue stir-frying until the chicken is lightly browned on all sides, 1 to 2 minutes. Add snap peas and stir-fry for 1 minute. Stir the Sichuan Sauce, swirl it into the pan and stir-fry until the chicken is just cooked through and the sauce is slightly thickened and glossy, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Discard the ginger, transfer to a platter, and sprinkle with peanuts and scallions. Serve immediately over rice or noodles of your choice.

Labels: ,

35 36 37 38