I am not a huge fan of standard lasagna because I don’t care much for marinara sauce, and I don’t cook regular enchiladas very often. Not because I don’t like them, but nobody makes them like my mama does. I will fix Chicken Enchiladas from time to time, and I’ve got my eye on a few other chicken enchilada variations, but never cheese (K’s favorite) or beef (like my mama makes). Too scary for me still. But this recipe for Enchilada Lasagna that I found in the Men’s Health Abs Guide 2008 (no scoffing, I don’t keep a collection of men’s health books around for myself or anything!) is pretty amazing. And healthy to boot! K loves it; it is one of his favorite meals.
I actually had it on the schedule to make for T for my latest Care Calendar date, but she went out of town on my scheduled day, and I figured K might smother me in my sleep if I didn’t make it for him anyway. Not really, but he does like it almost that much! :) It makes just enough for us to each have a big serving for dinner, and to take leftovers for lunch the next day. This time we had a friend over for dinner, but there was enough left over for him to have for lunch. Don’t worry about me though; I made Garlic, Ginger & Scallion Shrimp for myself to have for lunch.
Source: Men’s Health Abs Guide 2008
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 ½ cups reduced-fat Mexican-blend or Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup canned, diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup low-fat, low-sodium cottage cheese
- ¼ cup canned jalapeno peppers, diced
- ½ cup scallions, chopped
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 9 - 6” corn tortillas
- 1 cup taco sauce
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brown the turkey in a skillet over medium-high heat. Let the turkey cool and them mix with 1 cup of the cheese, tomatoes, cottage cheese, peppers, scallions, chili powder & garlic, stirring well.
- Coat 9 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray. Place 3 tortillas in the bottom of the dish and top with half of the turkey mixture. Layer 3 more tortillas, the remaining turkey mixture and the last 3 tortillas. Pour taco sauce over the last layer of tortillas and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup of cheese. Bake for 20 minutes.
Makes 4 servings @ 437 calories per serving. Not too shabby!! We had ours with a side salad to complete the meal.