As part of the FoodBuzz Tastemaker Program, I received two loaves of Bauducco Panettone specialty breads. Since I am a lover of chocolate, the chocolate chip loaf drew my attention the most, and one of the included recipes was for Bread Pudding, which looked too good to pass up! I tasted the bread itself first, and it was so delicious! There was a hint of orange in the bread, and that brought out the flavor of the chocolate even more. I'd never made bread pudding before, so I was anxious to taste the finished product.
Oh.My.God. It was too good for words. All of the flavors came together so well...the chocolate, the orange zest, and THE RUM :) If you like bread pudding - or hell, even if you don't think you do - you should definitely give this recipe a try!!
Panettone Chocolate Chip Orange Bread Pudding
Source: Bauducco Panettone
- 6 oz Baudcco Panettone Chocolate Chip (about 8 slices)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/4 cup Marsala wine
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp grated orange zest (I used zest from a whole, large orange)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a shallow 3-qt baking dish. Layer the panettone slices in the baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the milk and sugar. Bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from heat and add cream, rum, and Marsala.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg, orange zest, and cinnamon. Slowly stir in the milk mixture. Pour the combined mixture over the panettone and press the pieces down so they are submerged in the liquid. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Place the baking dish into a larger roasting pan, and pour hot water 1-inch deep around the baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean, and top is golden.