I remember walking through a shaded parking lot with my mom when I was four years old, going to an ice cream shop and coming out with a cone, topped with mint chocolate chip ice cream. That is the first ice cream experience that I can remember and even now during the heat of summer, my favorite frozen treat is mint chocolate chip ice cream.
When the summer fades and the cold weather starts to creep in, I like to stop at Starbucks for a Peppermint Mocha. Basically, I love mint and chocolate together. So, when the holiday baking season gets going, mint chocolate chip cookies are high on my priority list, and this year they made an extra early appearance. And this year I used my own sugar cookie recipe, too!!
I don't recall the texture of the cookies from previous years, but when I pulled them out of the oven this time, they were so warm, soft, and fan-freaking-tastic!! It took an immense amount of self-control to keep from eating the entire batch before dinner. But I stopped after two delicious cookies. I had intended to take them to work the following day, but just couldn't bear to part with them. (Sorry girls, I'll make some for you soon I promise!) I've heard some other people say that mint and chocolate are overdone during the holidays, and maybe that's true...but that won't stop me from making these cookies and drinking my peppermint mochas! So, if share my love for mint and chocolate you should definitely give these a try!
Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
A Sweet Beginnings' Original Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp mint extract
- 8-10 drops green food coloring
- 1 egg
- 2 1/3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 bag (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat together butter and sugar on low speed until fluffy. Stir in flavoring, coloring, and egg; mix well.
- Combine flour and baking powde in a bowl and slowly mix into the sugar mixture. Once combined, stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop heaping tablespoon's onto foil-lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake 7-9 minutes until just set. Remove to cooling rack.