I'm not usually one to make, let alone stick to, New Year's resolutions, so imagine my surprise that I am doing both this year! I made it through last week with 4 days of exercise (as stated in resolution #1), and week two has started off strong. I feel like my determination and commitment to become more healthy overall really is spreading into all facets of my life. I feel more motivated to be productive, and that's really an improvement considering my absolute lack of motivation to do anything the last few months of 2011. I have a ridiculous amount of recipes bookmarked and filled in on the food calendar, most of which are healthy, and the rest I just pretend are ;)
I look forward to Taco Tuesday, and have deemed it my unofficial "cheat" meal every week. I was unsure how this particular one would taste, but in the end it was like a typical beef taco, with a sweet & spicy twist. The mango and jalapeno balance each other nicely and I really enjoyed it as a salsa on my taco! If you are looking for a new twist on regular tacos, this is definitely one to try!
Beef Tacos with Mango-Hot Pepper Salsa
Adapted from: Robin Miller
- 1 lb lean ground sirloin
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups diced fresh mango
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion (I didn't use because I don't like onions)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 8-12 taco shells
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 cup grated reduced-fat Cheddar
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook beef until browned. Add water, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine mango, jalapeno, red onion, cilantro, and lime juice. Season, to taste, with salt and black pepper. Serve beef mixture in taco shells,with lettuce, grated cheese, sour cream, and topped with mango salsa.