Can you believe the first week of January is already half gone? The holidays are beginning to fade from memory as the hustle and bustle of life are back in full swing, the kiddies are back in school and I, for one, am back to work after a couple of weeks off. I've taken a brief hiatus from baking since I did so much of it in the last few weeks of December and I'm focusing more on a healthy menu for myself, but I have declared Taco Tuesday my unofficial "cheat" day. These Crispy Turkey Tacos actually rank fairly low on the caloric scale, coming in under 400 calories for two tacos, so they actually aren't much of a cheat, but you'd never know it by the taste!! So, if you are "back on the wagon" as part of your New Year's resolutions, and you enjoy a good taco, add these to your menu asap!!
Crispy Turkey Tacos
Adapted from: Eating Well
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes with jalapenos
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 small avocado, pitted and mashed
- 1/4 cup of salsa (I used salsa verde)
- 2 Tbsp light sour cream
- 10 crispy taco shells
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used Monterrey Jack)
- In a skillet, cook turkey over medium-high heat until browned. Pour diced tomatoes, cumin, garlic powder and chili powder into skillet, stir and simmer about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix the avocado, salsa, and sour cream together in a small bowl and heat taco shells according to package instructions.
- Spoon the avocado mixture into the taco shells, cover with ground turkey mixture and top with lettuce and cheese.