I don't know what the weather has been like in your part of the world, but in Texas it has been exceptionally wonky this Winter. Don't get me wrong, I don't like to be cold, but when it's pushing 80 degrees in January and February, it just doesn't feel right. Besides, I have a whole slew of new sweaters to wear and the weather is not calling for that very often. But on the days where Mother Nature dealt the usual cold, dreary, wintry weather, soup was definitely a welcome meal.
Since January was National Soup Month, I tried to make as many new soups as I could fit in. This one looked good, but I have to admit I was worried that the taste would be too red pepper-y for me. Good thing I was wrong!! This soup is creamy and just plain delicious. Oh, and the cilantro-lime sour cream...amazing! Since I'm sure the winter cold is making it's presence known in many parts of the world, I highly recommend this soup to warm you up!
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Soup w/Cilantro-Lime Sour Cream
Source: Life and Kitchen
- 8 roasted red peppers packed in oil (about 1 large jar), drained and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cilantro Lime Sour Cream, recipe follows
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh cilantro leaves
- Saute the butter, onions, and garlic until soft in a heavy bottomed soup pot on medium-low heat.
- Add the red peppers, tomato paste, and vegetable stock. Bring to a low boil, reduce the heat, and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the half and half, cilantro, salt, and pepper.
- Mix the cornstarch with a little cold water to get rid of any lumps and add it to the soup to thicken.
- Simmer 5 minutes. Let the soup cool slightly, and then blend in batches in a blender, or use an immersion blender to puree.
- Top with a dollop of Cilantro Lime Sour Cream.