Hello, and welcome to April!! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend, and that you didn't have too many April Fools jokes played on you yesterday! I had a fantabulous weekend!! JF and Monkey came to stay with me on Friday, and Saturday was Baby C's birthday party!! It was Construction themed, and you will be seeing a few posts from it this week. Starting with today!! I was in charge of the smash cake, cupcakes, and Mexican layer dip.
Now, there are so many variations of layer dips and it's so easy to adapt them to your individual tastes, but I stick closely to the version that my mother made all my life. Granted, I have to make one adjustment from hers - omitting the onions...blech! Some people use olives, green onions, etc. But this version is the only one that I can eat! The second layer is by-far my favorite...I could eat it all by itself, and have on many occasions. I saw the idea to put the dip in individual cups on Pinterest, and knew that it would be perfect for Baby C's party. They were a huge hit, everybody loved the individual servings!
Mexican Layer Dip
From my mama
- 2 large cans Refried Beans
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2-4 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 lg container Sour Cream
- 2 packets Taco Seasoning
- 6-8 large Avocados, mashed with a fork (or pre-packaged Guacamole)
- Juice of 2-3 lemons
- 2 Tbsp Garlic Powder, divided
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 2-3 cups Shredded Cheddar
- 3 cups Diced Tomatoes
- In a medium saucepan, combine beans, oil, cumin and 1 tablespoon garlic powder. Heat over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes, stirring to combine until warm. Taste and add more cumin and/or garlic powder as desired. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In two separate bowls place mashed avocado (or guac) and sour cream. To the avocado, add lemon juice, garlic powder, salt & pepper, a little at a time until you reach your desired taste. To the sour cream, add the taco seasoning and stir until fully combined.
- In your desired container (casserole dish, or individual serving containers) layer the beans, then the sour cream mixture, avocado, topped with cheese and then the diced tomatoes. (Try not to make the bean mixture too thick, so it's not overwhelming!)
- Serve with your favorite tortilla chips and watch it disappear!