Yesterday was a much-needed day for me. After two very crazy, busy weeks I took a day off of work. To clean. Yes, I took a day off of work to clean my apartment and actually cook! This past weekend was so busy that I was really only home to sleep. I didn't cook a single thing, which is very unlike me. Well, I did make some cupcakes for a cancer fundraiser, and pasta salad for a barbecue...but nothing new to blog about. Anywho...the point is that my life has been crazy and I took a day to catch up. I feel much better now, and I got a few things cooked/baked to share with you, too!
And now, I bring to you an amazing taco recipe that totally blew my mind when I made it. The flavors are amazing, and the mango salsa tops it off perfectly! I have used black beans quite a bit in the last couple of weeks and I really enjoy them, so I thought they were a great part of this taco. Of course I love chicken, and with jerk seasoning I was able to get that bite that I never get tired of. All-in-all, this was one of my favorite tacos to-date, and I think you should put it on your menu right away!
Caribbean Jerk Chicken Tacos
Ingredients2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- Juice of 2 limes, separated
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 can black beans, slightly drained
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 mangoes, peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 3 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- Flour tortillas
- Sour cream
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium low. Add chicken and all seasonings, above red wine vinegar. Stir to combine.
- Add in juice of 1 lime, red wine vinegar and 1 to 2 more tablespoons of olive oil. Stir to combine and cook until chicken is heated through. Add more olive oil if chicken needs more moisture.
- In a medium sized pan, add 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium low. Pour in black beans and add in garlic powder and additional olive oil.
- Stir to combine and allow to cook down until most of the liquid is dissolved. Mash with the back of a spoon. Keep on low heat until ready to use. Right before you use it add a squeeze of lime and stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine mango, jalapeno, cilantro, 3 tablespoons of lime juice, and orange juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble, warm tortillas, spread a thin layer of the black bean mash in the center of the tortilla. Top with chicken, then sour cream, then mango salsa and enjoy!!