It's not often that I make a vegetarian meal for myself - this girl loves her meat! But, every once in awhile, I come across something that just looks intriguing, and I have to try it . This was one of those of those meals. I've been eating a lot more black beans lately, and while I'm picky about when I like sweet potatoes, I decided to give it a go. Now, if I liked enough vegetables, this taco alone would have been enough to convince me to do a meatless meal at least once a week. It was pretty fantastic!
Taco Tuesdays have definitely opened me up to some great meals that I am glad to have in my arsenal, and these tacos will definitely be making a second appearance!
Black Bean & Sweet Potato Tacos
Adapted from: Bev Cooks
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, cut into a medium dice
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp cumin, divided
- 2 tsp chili powder, divided
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- flour tortillas
- queso fresco, crumbled
- 1 avocado, diced
- lime and cilantro for garnish
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400.
- In a bowl, toss the diced sweet potato with the oil, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, a pinch of coarse salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- In a small sauce pan add the beans and season with the remaining cumin, chili powder and garlic salt. Heat for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Warm tortillas and spoon on some beans, followed by sweet potatoes. Top with diced avocado, queso fresco, a little lime juice, and cilantro leaves.