Baby C and T have been sick for a few weeks now, and early on, Baby C decided it would be a good idea to give me a kiss. A full on, put his mouth IN my mouth while I was talking, kiss. I blew it off, because hey, it was sweet and adorable, and I have an awesome immune system. A week later I let him eat off of my fudge popsicle, and T reminded me that he was sick...to which I declared that if I didn't sick when he put his sickly mouth in mine, that I must be immune. I should have known better.
And now, another week later, it seems that the sickness is trying to make itself at home in my "immune" body. Awesome. Two things I've learned from this 1) Don't be cocky about my awesome immune system and 2) No matter how cute your godson is, don't let him give you kisses or eat off your popsicle when he's sick!!
Not only did I wake up with a sore throat and stuffy nose, but I woke up to a very odd smell in my apartment. Like, burning plastic smell. I started sniffing my way around the apartment and it was strongest in the kitchen and utility closet. No burners were on, or the oven. I have all electric appliances, no gas, so it couldn't be a gas leak. What in the world was going on?? The smell was overwhelming, so I opened the patio door, and even little Bubba opted to lay out there instead of being inside on the couch. I finally pinpointed it to the water heater. I called T to see if Mr. T had any ideas, and he told me to call the emergency maintenance line for the apartment. That seemed like a good idea, but with the luck I've had at this apartment, I didn't expect much. And I was right. They told me that all they could do today was come up and flip the break for the water heater, and the next day they would come to fix it. So, I either have a horrid, unbearable smell, or I have no hot water. Awesome.
Have a mentioned how much I love my apartment complex? ::rolls eyes::
I had such an awesome weekend planned with lots of great things I was going to cook. But instead, my Sunday was spent sitting on the couch with windows open, feeling miserable from sickness and from the smell. And, thinking about the very busy week ahead at work. I can't afford to be sick right now!
Fortunately this salad came along before the sickness did, so I still have something yummy to share with you today! I love entree salads, and the peppercorn dressing is really what made it something special. It was creamy, and complimented the beef very nicely.
Bistro Steak Salad with Creamy Peppercorn Dressing
Adapted from Pampered Chef - Spin on Salads
- 4 cups Spring salad mix
- 1/2 cup cherry or plum tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh ground peppercorns
- 2 beef tenderloin steaks (1 1/2 in thick)
- 1 Tbsp fresh, chopped chives
- 1/4 cup mayo or miracle whip
- 2 1/2 tsp milk
- 1 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp fresh, chopped chives
- 1 tsp fresh ground peppercorns
- Heat a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Rub both sides of the steaks with the peppercorn and cook for about 15 minutes, for medium doneness, longer if preferred. Remove from heat and let rest for about 5 minutes to seal the juices inside, then cut into thin slices.
- Meanwhile, whisk the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cut the tomatoes in half, then divide the salad mix among serving plates. Top with steak slices and tomatoes, then drizzle the dressing on top and sprinkle with chives.