This week has started off fantastically!! After my ever-productive Sunday, Monday started off just as strong. I left the house with a packed (healthy and not frozen) lunch, gym bag, sweet breakfast for my co-workers, and a can-do attitude. That's right, I was determined to start this week off on good start. It may have taken me a full 6 months to get in the swing of things, but hey...better late than never, eh? ;)
If I can keep up this momentum, I will be...UNSTOPPABLE!! Ok, maybe one too many super hero movies, but a girl can dream, right? Well, maybe I can't save the world, but I caaaan save dinner! If you're looking for a new chicken recipe, a new variation for taco night, or just a damn delicious dinner then you need to try these tacos!! Yes, it takes longer than the average 30 minute weeknight meal, so it may suit your schedule better to cook this on a weekend, or cook it the night before you want to eat it and then reheat it (yes, it's still good reheated!). But whatever scheduling you need to do will be worth it. I usually lean more towards a spicy, or sweet and spicy taco, but the honey-garlic sauce that the chicken is cooked in gives the perfect amount of sweetness and flavor to the chicken.
See how I just saved dinner? I think I should get a cape. Can any of you sew? Perhaps a pretty blue cape...let me know what you come up with. In the mean time, get started on these tacos!
Honey-Garlic Braised Chicken Tacos
Adapted Slightly from Miss Delish
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup Chicken Broth
- 1/3 cup Honey
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- Flour Tortillas
- 1 Avocado, peeled and sliced
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and make sure the rack is in the middle position.
- Using a dutch oven or large pot with a tight fitting lid, melt the butter over medium high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook until browned on each side, about 2 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and add onions and garlic to the pot and cook until softened, about 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Now, pour in the chicken broth, honey, lemon juice, ground ginger and soy sauce, stir and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add the chicken back to the pot, turning to coat both sides with the sauce.
- Cover the pot with the lid and put in the oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the pot from the oven and remove the chicken to a plate to cool. Using your a stand mixer or two forks, shred the chicken.
- Heat the sauce remaining in the pot on the stove over medium high heat and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and allow to simmer for 5-7 minutes until reduced and thickened slightly. Return the shredded chicken to the pot and coat with the sauce.
- Warm the tortillas and fill the center with the shredded chicken then top with avocado slices, cilantro and salsa (or other toppings of your choice).