There are a many reasons why I love my cooking board and the ladies that I've become friends with who are a part of it, but these swaps as I've mentioned before, are what brought me to the board in the first place. I've been participating for almost two years now, and I love the new recipes I get to try, and getting to pick recipes as well. Because the group is small enough to be manageable, it's not uncommon to receive the same blog more than once in a couple of month's time, or to have the blog of the person who has your blog that month. Reveal day is always fun, finding out who had you and, if it was a Blogger's Choice theme, what they chose to make.
It is a first for me, though to have received the same blog for two Blogger's Choice turns in a row, but since it was only a month apart, I still had fresh in my mind recipes that I saw the last time around that I wanted to try. This rice, for example!! I looooove cilantro-lime rice, so instead of cutting the recipe down like I would normally do when cooking for only myself, I made the whole batch! And...I ate it all, too. The perfect side dish for an array of main dishes, or just on it's own. Yes, there was at least one time when I sat down with only a bowl of this rice to eat. I guess I kinda like rice, huh?
Mexican Green Cilantro Rice
As seen on Mary Ellen's Cooking Creations
- 1/2 of a bunch of fresh cilantro plus some extra leaves for garnish
- 2 Tbsp chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp butter
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain rice
- Juice from 1 lime
- Salt and pepper
- Combine the cilantro and 2 tablespoons ofbroth in a food processor or blender and puree. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a medium pot, add the onion and garlic, and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the rice and stir to coat.
- Add the broth and cilantro puree and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until rice is done and the liquid has absorbed (about 20 minutes or according to the package instructions).
- Fluff with a fork, add the lime juice, and season with salt and pepper, to taste.