J turned up his nose at the mention of them, so I made them once and made a different side for him, but he opted to try them anyway. And he liked them. But only freshly made, not re-heated with leftovers the next day. So now if I decide to make them I do it on a Friday or Saturday when I don't need to have leftovers for lunch.
When I came across this salad, I put it on the menu to have for lunch one day while J was at work. I posted a picture of it on Facebook and his initial reaction was, "Yuck, Brussels Sprouts are gross!" until I reminded him that he likes them, just not reheated, and that these were raw anyway. Smh. Silly man. He asked me if I saved him some, and since it made plenty I told him, "Of course I did!" but he never wound up eating any of it. Which is fine with me!
It was a nice, refreshing salad, and the Brussels and bacon were both a little crunchy and went well with the shallots and citrus-y vinaigrette. I'll definitely be making this again.Oh, and I got to use the little slicer attachment on my food processor to slice the Brussels...even better!! I love kitchen gadgets :)
Bacon & Brussels Sprouts Salad
As seen on Pinch of Yum
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- 1 large shallot, minced
- ½ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled or chopped
- 4 dozen Brussels sprouts
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until browned and slightly crispy. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and cool. Once cooled, crumble the bacon into bite-sized pieces.
- Meanwhile, combine the lemon and orange juice into a large bowl with the shallots. Pour the oil into the bowl in a steady stream, whisking to form an emulsion (this can also be done in a blender or food processor if you don't want to whisk by hand). Season generously with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Trim the ends off of the Brussels sprouts and use a mandoline (or the nifty slicer attachment for your food processor!) to shave the Brussels sprouts into thin slices to make a shredded/slaw texture.
- Add ¾ of the cheese and bacon to the shredded Brussels sprouts and toss to combine.
- Just before serving, toss with the dressing and sprinkle remaining cheese and bacon over the top. Can be refrigerated for a couple of days, if there are leftovers.